Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Rush to the Finish

My wife was given the unfortunate news last Tuesday (5/23/06) about the pregnancy (dont' get worried...there's nothing wrong with the baby). Betsy was told that she was going to have to wait another week to have the baby. The doctor continues to play this cruel joke with my wife getting her hopes up that he will either induce with each upcoming visit or will decide to perform a C-Section. We went into Tuesday's appointment expecting the doctor to perform a c-section considering that the baby had measured 8 lbs 9 oz during the previous week's visit. On Tuesday, my wife had another ultrasound and we found out that the baby only weighed 8 lbs. 13 oz. This weight did not reach the cut-off point for a C-Section (which is 9 lbs 3 oz.) and the doctor told her to hold out another week to give the baby more time to develop its lungs. This was not the news my wife wanted to hear. She had come expecting to be told to go to the hospital that afternoon to deliver the baby. Needless to say, Betsy was about in tears in the examination room and appeared to want to do something unpleasant to the doctor. The doctor appeared to slip out the room quickly while I told him that I would blame him if she attempted to kill me over the next week. Luckily the doctor did inform us that if the baby did not appear within the next week then he would definitely induce during the week of May 29. Betsy made an appointment the afternoon after she left the office and we are currently scheduled to be at the hospital on Wed. morning (5/31) at 7:15 am.

Well, today is Saturday (5/27) and Betsy has not had the baby yet. She has done everything she can think of to bring the baby forth into the world (including walking on the treadmill, walking at the mall, eating, sex..heck, you name it..we've probably tried it). Betsy's hormones are definitely getting worse as the due draws near. I was trying to help out around the house today (washing clothes, vacuuming, dishes, etc) and she about wanted to kill me for no reason. She told me sternly to get out of the house and go to the gym so that she didn't say something mean or attempt to take my life. I took the hint and got out of dodge. She has chilled out as the night has progressed. She's getting tired of being cooped up in the house and can't sleep well or eat what she wants without having horrible bouts of indigestion. We should buy stock in Maalox after all we've bought during the term of the pregnancy. I think we're gonna drive to my parents' house tomorrow and sit by the pool. Maybe this change of scenery and some socialization will help things. Just keep your fingers crossed that either the baby comes soon or my wife has the strength to make it to Wed. morning.

Currently listening to:
Jon Auer
Songs from the Year of Our Demise
Released on: 5-2-06

No comments: