Thursday, July 13, 2006

What a Shame

I was looking at the website for the newspaper from my hometown today. It mentioned that the movie theater that I grew up going to is being torn down to make room for a parking lot ( http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060713/NEWS01/607130306/1002 ). The theater has been abandoned for well over 6 years because more advanced movie theaters were built in town. The theater owners didn't have the money or the desire to update with the technology and modern times...which is kinda sad. I remember going to see the Indiana Jones movies, Ghostbuster movies, my first date movie (Forrest Gump when I was a freshman in high school), the Matrix movies, and numerous crap movies that I can't remember. I know that in the big scheme of things that this theater is just another building, but to alot of people my age, it is a landmark. So many memories of popcorn, syrupy drinks, sticky floors, make out sessions, long nights standing in line, and booming theater speakers....it's a place of memories. It's just a shame that nothing was done with the theater...guess I can take my child by a parking lot in the near future and point to him and say...'Yeah, Dad saw lots of movies here when he was growing up.' I'm sure he'll look at me with a strange look, think I'm crazy, and turn on the dvd player in the minivan. Oh well, I guess it's all about the memories.

Currently listening to:
The Legends
Public Radio
Released: 6-13-06

No comments: