Saturday, June 17, 2006

Fatherhood (Good) Out of Town Work (Bad)

Well, it's been about two and a half weeks since my last post. Of course, I think with the new baby, all can be forgiven. This event in my life is certainly one of the biggest and amazing things that I've ever experienced. It's amazing to see the baby and marvel at how that 8 lb baby fit in my wife's stomach. Over the past week I've gotten to see a developing personality within Jamie. I love to sit him on my knees while he is awake and just have him look at me. His big blue eyes are just looking at me and his hands are waving in the air while his legs kick at my stomach. The look in his face is so innocent...all I can hope is to be man enough to lead him in the right direction in his upcoming life. I want so much for him to be happy, to get a great education, and to make something of himself. It's amazing to think of all the events that are laid out before him to experience and discover.

Well, I know that I'm being sentimental, but it's hard not to be. My life will absolutely never be the same again. As I've discussed in previous posts, my company is not the most family friendly. The only positive side to my company is that they gave me 2 weeks of paternity leave to help with the baby. Most companies do not give men any time off..so I can't complain about this great opportunity. Of course this time off was too be good to be true. My company just knew how to screw me over upon my return from the leave. The day I returned from my leave, I get a phone call and am informed that I will have to go out of town next week. It really pisses me off because I had the understanding that I would be in town for at least the first few months in order to help out my wife. My company acted like they cared about my needs, but in the long run, they didn't really give too much of a shit. So I'll be out of town next week in the middle of the delta of Mississippi. My child isn't even 3 weeks old and I'm being forced to go out of town. I hope this little screw up on their part doesn't continue to occur. They did this to me when I got married 2 years ago. They sent me out of town for the first 9 weeks of being married..it took my wife breaking down for them to actually schedule me for in town jobs. Don't know what my future with this company will look like over the next year. Oh well, enough bitching.

Since it's been awhile since I've offered up music picks, here is a list of albums that I've really been digging over the past few months:

Sonic Youth- 'Rather Ripped'
The Go Betweens- 'Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express'
Jon Auer-'Songs from the Year of our Demise'
The Elms-'The Chess Hotel'
Hot Chip- 'The Warning'
The Futureheads-'News & Tributes'
Gomez-'How We Operate'
Sunshine Rubdown-'Shut Up I am Dreaming'
Kelley Stoltz-'Below the Branches'
Primal Scream-'Riot City Blues'

Well, I'm off to check on my wife and the new baby. Maybe it won't be another 2 plus weeks before I post again, but no promises.

Currently listening to:
The Spinto Band
Nice and Nicely Done
Released: 6-7-05

No comments: