Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Beware the Roaming Recruiters

I've spoken recently about the possibility of a job change in my future. As of right now, I'm not sure where I stand, but there is one thing I will say, be careful with the recruiters that are out there. Working for a large accounting firm, I typically get random emails and phone messages from job recruiters each week emphasizing that they 'have that special job for you with the right work life balance and high salary.' Having not been in the job market for several years, I thought I would get in touch with one of the random recruiters who contacted me. The guy seemed to be legit and offered a list of some promising job opportunities. I sent him my updated resume and he promised to distribute it to the companies in which I showed interest. Since I carried out this process of communication and requested that my resume be sent, I am still waiting here over 3 weeks later. The guy never emails providing me the status of his so called 'work' on my behalf. I seem to be doing more work than he does. I came to find out that the list of jobs he provided me was simply pulled from Monster. Any idiot could have pulled these job opportunities. I am also having to regularly reach out to him via email to even get a status update. Many times he will wait days to respond only to tell me that he's heard nothing yet and to be patient. He pretty much feeds me typical bullshit. I emailed him tonight to tell him to get his ass into shape or else I'm cutting any ties with him.


My response to this poor recruiter has been justified in the past week or so. I decided about a week ago to post my resume out on Monster for just a few hours. I was amazed to find the demand that my resume created. In a period of less than 8 hours, I received calls and emails from well over 10 recruiters. Many of the recruiters were poor quality like the guy I previously spoke about, but one stood out above the rest. This lady sent me an email telling me that I should be careful about posting my resume on Monster because my current employer may also be looking and would come across my resume (and therefore think that I'm looking for another job). Having respect for her honest response, I took her advice and pulled my resume quickly. This lady has many great employer contacts and was able to quickly set me up an interview with a large Fortune 500 company within 2 or 3 days of our original conversation. I went up to interview with this company yesterday and things appear to be good. There are still several questions I have about this potential company, but that will work itself out over the next few weeks. I'm optimistic that this lady will provide me some other job prospects so that I can have several opportunities to compare.


To sum up this blog entry, be careful who you deal with when you offer yourself up to the many job recruiters out there. Many are simply out there to grab a quick buck with little concern for whether a job truly fits your needs. Also, you shouldn't have to do all the legwork to get a job if you are working with a recruiter. If they are going to earn their percentage (finder's fee), then you shouldn't have to do anything but show up for an interview and decide if you want the job. The best comparison I could make for many job recruiters is to a car salesman...they want to tell you what you want to hear, but then they sell you a cheap piece of shit. Every once in awhile, you might find a diamond in the ruff...look for that diamond.


Currently listening to:


Richard Swift

Dressed Up for the Letdown

Released on: 2-20-07


No comments: